Sunday 4 August 2013

Energy bowl

I love veggie juices for brekkie. They're my FAV way to start the day.
As I've metioned in my last few posts, I've been busy on a bunch of different sets of late. I was having my daily morning juice, but as the days went on during the week, I needed so much more in the morning, so I had my energy bowl instead. It's so important to listen to our bodies daily and assess what the best thing to eat and drink will be. Its great to eat well and look after ourselves, but make sure that you don't get stuck in the mind set of "I have to eat this every day to be healthy"- sometimes you need a big bowl of rice or porridge. Sometimes just a piece of fruit will suffice. LISTEN to your beautiful bodies and nuture yourself the best you can.
Excercize goes hand in hand with this day by day approach- but thats a whole other blog- Back to the oats!!!



I first created this meal after a really great yoga class. It was a super physical class and by the time I finally got home, I was soooooo HUNGRY!
I didn't feel like veggies for my lunch (shock horror!!)and I wanted a big treat that was still healthy, quick and would make me smile. I succeeded by the way.
The organic rolled oats I have in my pantry are the natural ones, not the 'quick' oats and they have a mix of raw buckwheat, sunflower seeds, pepitas, dried coconut and dried fruits throughout. I also add chia seeds and gogi berries. So thats my 'oats base', you can be as creative or as nutral as you like in this baby- make muesli your own way!

WHAT YOU NEED
oats base- as much as you want
1 green apple grated
1/2 lemon
1 tea spoon of honey
1 tablsp of coconut oil
any topping you like. I garnished my muesli with apple mint- YUM.

WHAT YOU DO
Pour your oats into a pretty bowl, add your grated apple and mix. Let sit for a couple of minutes (not nessessary but will make oats easier to digest and will help you to recieve the health benefits of oatie oats.
Whilst your oats are hanging out with your apple, in a small saucepan on low heat, melt your coconut oil and honey, mix then pour over your oats and mix everything together. Squeeze your lemon over the top, mix, then garnish with lovely things.

It's absolutely delicious and will keep you going and going and going.
I have been known to also eat this for dessert.... mmmm
*If you're gluten intolerant, you could exchange the oaties for pre cooked buckwheat or quinoa, rice flakes etc, although this will have to be a pre concieved meal.
** Also, non honey eating veganinis, any natural sweetener will do the trick, just don't go overboard- this receipe is quite nice minus the honey.


Lovely oatie facts:

Oats help you to loose weight, they digest slowly and are packed with fibre and have little impact on your blood sugar. They're also packed with manganese, selenium, vitamin B1, dietary fibre, magnesium, protein and phosphorus.
Because they're super fibre warriors, oats are great for clearing the gunk out of your digestive system. Part of this gunk is cholesterol, that would otherwise end up in the bloodstream. Oats will also stabilise your blood sugar levels and help prevent type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

So, YUM and YAY!

X

No comments: