Monday 8 October 2012

Lentil & buckwheat loaf: Farewell Melbourne!



So ladies and gentleman- I'm outta here!!
This week I'll be heading to Queens Cliff on a mini tour- then i'll be jumping ship this weekend, heading to la la land (LA) for a lovely 3 weeks with by beautiful friend Jacinta Yelland (a beauty actor)!! Yahoooo

In between the tour and travel, there's yoga, packing, organizing, work and eating to do- so I've made a lovely lentil and buckwheat loaf to keep me going!!

Last year I went on a tour with the same company I'm leaving with this time. Last years tour went for a month- this one is two days- not so bad... When I was away last year, we trekked all over regional Victoria- which was lovely but I was a little daunted at first in terms of feeding myself well- I'm not a massive fan of country bakeries and pubs for breakfast lunch and dinner- so- what did I do!?

Well on the weekends (at home) I baked some yummy banana bread to take for brekkie or snacks, I took a plastic bowl, a little knife and a biggish tupperware tub with a lid for mixing my salads (shake it!). I also brought tea bags :)


Every day I had fruit and my banana bread for brekkie and I'd make a salad for myself in the morning so I'd be set for the day- lunch was usually on the road with a stop over at a bakery or fish and chip place. I would go to the supermarket and get myself water, fruit, veg for salad (red cabbage, corn, snow peas, beans) but you can get anything that's edible raw. I'd also get plain rice crackers and pre cooked brown rice and some lemons.
Canned tuna is good or you could even get some organic eggs and boil in the kettle in your room- I cooked my corn this way if I wasn't eating it raw.

You can survive a month on the road and still remain happy and healthy- it also saves your food allowance $!

Since I'm only going away for a short stint this time, I'll take some veggies for a salad with me, some fruit for brekkie & I'll take already cooked lentils and buckwheat and some tea bags instead of buying it away.

And of course I'll be taking my lentil loaf for snacks.

When I head over seas on the weekend I'll take the rest of my loaf on the plane along with other snacks so I don't have to eat the awful plane food.

Yay! It's great to get away- i'll blog from LA to keep you updated and share my food discoveries and actor travels with you all!

LENTIL AND BUCKWHEAT LOAF


What you need:

1 cup lentils (I used green)
1/2 cup buckwheat
2 inch chunk of leek
Handful mushrooms grated
1/2 cup Radom veg (I used pumpkin and tomato)
2 eggs or 2 tblsp chia seeds soaked in water (2 tblsp)
Salt

What you do:

Pre cook your lentils and buckwheat.
Pre heat the oven to 190 degrees.

While the lentils are cooking, soak the chia seeds if you're using them, chop the random veg into small chunks and pop in the oven for 10-15 mins.

Chop the leek and grate the mushies and sauté in a pan for a few mins.

When everything's prepared- mix all together, season with some salt and bake in a lined pan for 30-45 mins.

Let cool on a rack and store in the fridge.

Eat on the run or at home!

YAY to travel!

X

2 comments:

Healthy food said...

You were really prepared for traveling. I like how you had a variety of tasty food and were also able to save money.

easytolearn said...

Fabulous! Some awesome stuff you have public here. I have to confess your big effort. Keep posting more blog posts like thisI enjoyed it a lot; thanks for sharing with us!