Tuesday 18 June 2013

Breakfast for dinner!!

Well as all Melbournians now.... It has been COLD!!!
So much so, all I've been wanting to do is sit inside all day reading and watching movies... Alas, too busy for that kind of thing through the day.

As you all are, I am busy! Brett's been out filming early in the morning till well into the night, I've been scouting for cosies, filming, going to yoga, having meetings, looking for props etc etc. Most have been outdoor excursions or have needed me to catch public transport everywhere, which is great, I can work and relax listening to music while travelling- just takes way longer- and it's been wet and COLD!!

SO! The other night Brett was filming and I needed dinner for one. EASY! It was actually only 5pm and I was STARVING and needed warming up.... so I had breakfast for dinner!

I made coconut and papaya porridge and it was the best thing in the world!!!
I felt like I was getting a hug in my tummy and taste buds! mmmm
I didn't have any of my coconut milk, but I did have a can of organic coconut cream in the pantry... gross you say!!! Oh no! This is lovely and sweet, plus you don't need much!


WHAT YOU DO
Pour as many oats as you feel like eating in a small pot, mix through some shredded coconut and top with boiling water, just to cover. Let sit for a minute or two, then spoon about 1 to 2 tablespoons of your coconut cream on top and cook for a few minutes. If you need more liquid, just top up with boiling water. Stir through some yummy organic RAW honey, then serve, garnishing with slices of papaya and more honey. Chia seeds world be great mixed through too, so would banana!!

This really will warm anybody and make them super happy too!! So so so creamy and sweet! and HEALTHY!!! winning.
 

I've blabbed on about the amazingness of oats and papaya in my last few posts... time to talk up the amazing coconut!!  
This info is just focusing on coconut oil... but every part of the coconut is an amazing source of health, I just want to focus here on oil/cream to shine a light on HEALTHY oils... something we wouldn't have thought would go in the same sentence and be true!

It’s healthy to cook with: Coconut oil will not turn rancid and oxidize when introduced to heat (unlike other oils – including olive). This means it's perfect for cooking at high temperatures.
It won’t mess with cholesterol: Coconut oil is one of the only few dietary sources of medium-chain fatty acids and it is said to be the best source. MCFA's don't have a negative effect on cholesterol and are known to reduce the risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis.
It prevents wrinkles and replaces sunscreen: The medium-chain triglycerides, naturally occurring fats in coconut oil, deeply penetrate, moisturize and act as a protective barrier against environmental and free radical damage. Coconut oil screens 20 % of ultraviolet exposure. This is what I use for both moisturizer and sunscreen all year round.
It will aid in weight loss: Effective weight loss can be achieved when you replace long-chain fatty acids with medium-chain fatty acids. These guys are easily digested and converted into energy, speeding up metabolism.
It treats candida and other fungal and bacterial infections: The lauric acid in coconut oil is highly toxic to viruses, funguses and bacteria, which makes it effective for treating candida albicans, fungal infections and athlete’s foot. It also targets bacterial infections and viruses like measles, influenza, hepatitis C and even HIV. Breast milk is the only other source of lauric acid.

So, yay to that..... Go eat some porridge!!

X

No comments: