Friday 14 September 2012

Stuffed Red Cabbage with Tomato & Fennel Sauce



Well, let me thank myself for being so ingenious and well prepared! Thank you Tegan :)

I wrapped filming tonight. It was a great shoot full of beautiful and kind people who I was able to play with and make beautiful connections with. Thanks guys!

I also had the absolute joy in sharing one of my 'Super Healthy Energy Balls' with one of the actors on set, the beautiful Sunday Barca Irving- who is also a massive foodie, mega babe and my new friend. Its been a great week!

It was a long day, which ended with me having a splitting head ache (I was out of coconut water- the perfect quick cure for dehydration and headaches when you're on set) and a desperate need to eat my dinner. Luckily all I had to do was chuck my ready made cabbage rolls into the oven, heat, then eat.

I love looking at, smelling and eating this meal. It's so nourishing and comforting and makes you feel like you're being hugged by the inside out.

Last time I made this dish I stuffed the cabbages with red quinoa, brown rice, lemon rind, red onion and flat leaf parsley.

This time I used some leftover leek risotto and chick peas & broad beans- leftover from the falafels I made earlier in the week, flat leaf parley and coriander.



Basically what I'm saying is- stuff your cabbages with whatever your body needs (or whatever your fridge has).

The sauce is quick and easy and will pretty much go with any filling, so- on to the recipe!!

STUFFED RED CABBAGE WITH TOMATO & FENNEL SAUCE



What you need:

1 kilo of tomatoes diced
1 red onion diced
1 or 1/2 bulb of fennel thickly sliced
6 good red cabbage leaves
your desired filling

What to do:

Pre heat your oven to 180C.
Dice your red onion and cook in a pan with a bit of butter and the oil of your choice. Season with a bit of sea salt to prevent the onions frying. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for about five minutes, then add the fennel. Pop a lid on and wait about 15-20 minutes.

While the sauce is bubbling, pop a steamer on and steam the cabbage leaves for about 5 minutes- or until soft.

When all this is done, pour a third of your sauce into a casserole dish, then one by one, pick up a leaf, scoop a few spoons of your stuffing mixture in the centre of your leaf, then fold the little parcel up and place in the dish- opening side down and continue process until finished.
The cabbages will look like velvety rich deep purple sardines packed snuggly close together. They will taste much better though. :)

Pour the remaining sauce on top, then bake for about 20-30 minutes.

Serve with a drizzle with the oil of your choice, some dukka and baby celery leaves.



I love digging into this meal as is- but this would be a lovely accompaniment to a picnic, banquet dinner or with a side of leafy greens, fresh salad or a lovely organic roast chicken.
I suppose It's more of a 'weekend meal' if you're a busy one... its not  super quick throw together which is why i made it the day before.

Enjoy x