Monday 10 June 2013

Split Peas.....

I'm wearing a kale top!! Happy day!


Anyway..... that's not what I'm going to blog about :)
Today I'm going to introduce you to split peas!!!!
I love peas. As a kid my special dessert was frozen peas in a cup, it was my absolutely fav snack. Once I made my family dinner which was tomato sauce soup, and for dessert, frozen pes and icecream. What can I say, I've always had a flair with food. I made them eat it too!!!!

Split peas, are actually dried peas, they're 'split' because thats how they grow natually- two seperate pea membranes. When they're dried, they fall apart. Are you worried about your cholesterol level? Eat split peas! Full of soluble fiber, peas help to bind up cholesterol-containing bile and move it out of your body. This can help with conditions like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis. A single cup of cooked dried peas in your daily diet provides 65.1% of the recommended daily fiber. They also provide a good amount of protein, two B-vitamins, very high in vitamin K,  and several important minerals. Peas also include isoflavones, which are helpful in reducing the risk of breast and prostate cancer.
If you are diabetic, or have it in your family, split peas can be your best friend. Peas help stabilize your blood sugar levels while providing a steady supply of energy.
Peas can also reduce the amount of plaque in your blood vessels and help your heart remain healthy.

So, amazing hey!?


SPLIT PEA SLOP

WHAT YOU NEED
couple of cups of dried split peas. You could mix it up and have a cup of green, a cup of yellow.
small bunch of kale or any green leafy veg sliced/chopped
2 inches of leek chopped
1 lemon

WHAT YOU DO
This is very easy. Wash and pre soak your peas, the night before is best or ealy morning for that night.
Drain and rinse peas, then pop in a pot, bring to boil and simmer until they're tender. Drain and set aside.
In a pan with coconut oil, sautee your chopped leek with a pinch of salt until soft, then add the green leafy veg, mix for a couple of mins, add the peas and heat through. Squeeze lemon on top and re season if you need.

That's it!

I chose to serve mine with a massive bowl of freshly picked garden greens and some olive and rosemary bread. mmmmmm

X

No comments: