Sunday 9 September 2012

small intro and my 'Light Spring Salad'


Aloha Everyone...

I'm Tegan Crowley...  Welcome to A Purple Carrot, a guide to an actors Lunchbox!!

I'm an actor and massive foodie..

I also have a number of food intolerance's and life style choices that hugely impact what I put into my body.
This blog will help and inspire anyone who wishes to have a healthier and more vibrant life and culinary experience every day.

For people who are super busy, travel a lot, and spend most meals away from home, this space will help guide you to fully nourish your body mind and soul.
For those who are blessed with down time and love spending time in the kitchen.. this will serve as a beautiful creative and inspiring space.

My main focus is to show actors of the world how to really take care of their beautiful bodies as they travel for their work, gear up for a season on stage, hang about on set for any period of time or if they're at home reading a book in their down time.. between jobs!

I am a vegan (although I eat organic raw honey and as a special treat, a good quality croissant). My intolerance's stop me from ingesting sugar, processed foods and I have hypothyroidism (i was born with half a thyroid gland) so due to my daily medication, i can't have foods containing iodine.

So, what on earth do I eat you ask??  well I will show you!

So.. Here is my very first recipe that i will share with you..
Its a beautiful salad that could be served as is, or on the side of Falafels, Nut & Lentil Loaf (recipes to come!), any protein you choose to eat or mixed well with one of my favourites, Red Quinoa.

LIGHT SPRING SALAD



Recipe:

handful of snow peas
a few large stalks of Italian kale *
handful of Russian red kale
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup peas
a few leaves of wombok **
handful of flat leaf parsley &/or coriander
handful green beans

season with oil of your choice, sea salt and 1/2 lemon or lime

what to do:

Chop ingredients to your desired size.
place peas, Italian kale & beans in a bowl with a pinch of salt, boil kettle then top veggies with just boiled water. After only a few seconds, drain, then mix in a large bowl with all other ingredients. Serve immediately.

Tip: as soon as you thinly slice the red onion, place in a little bowl and squeeze your lemon or lime on top- this will take out the harshness of eating raw onion and will be better for your belly :)

* Russian red kale can be found in markets and organic grocery stores. If you're unable to find this variety, you could use beetroot leaves or thinly sliced red cabbage.

** wombok is a relative to the more commonly known Boc choy, so if you're unable to find wombok at the market or supermarket, yep, you guessed it.. use Boc choy leaves in its place.

Easy peasy and oh so good!!


Enjoy!